Wonder how deleting categories in WordPress works? You’re in the right place, we’ll satisfy your curiosity in a moment. The process only requires a basic knowledge of the WordPress Admin section and is in no way as hard to do as choosing the domain name for your blog. Furthermore, adding categories will help both you and your visitors find the correct content with a click, instead of searching or scrolling. That will keep them coming back and reading more, for sure. With that said, here’s how to delete categories in WordPress.
Steps to delete a category in WordPress
- Log in to the WordPress Admin section with your username and password.
- Notice the menu on the left-hand side. Expand it by clicking on the icon that looks like a play button (a rightwards filled arrow (►) enclosed in a circle).
- Click on Posts.
- Under Posts, click on Categories.
- A list of all the categories you created will appear.
- Hovering under the name of the category unveils four options, Edit, Quick Edit, Delete, and View.
- Click on Delete.
- Confirm that you want to delete the category.
Removing WordPress categories in bulk
If you want to start anew or just clean things up, it would be foolish to remove one category at a time. Instead, do this.
- Once again, click on Posts in the left-hand main menu, then choose Categories.
- A list of categories will appear.
- Instead of hovering under the name of the categories you intent do remove, tick the box in front of it.
- Click on the Bulk Actions option in the top left corner.
- From the drop-down list, choose Delete.
- Click on Apply to the right.
- Confirm the decision.
And there you have it, this is how to delete categories in WordPress. Now’s the time to make a solid plan and organize their hierarchy so that they make sense for both you and your visitors.