Domain names are always important to a website because it is the basic identity of it. We are daily searching the internet for Tips to choose the best domain name for your blog, especially when you are really planning to start a blog of your own. A Successful blog is the dream of every blogger. The domain name is the first step to the crown called a successful blog. While choosing the perfect domain name, there are a lot of things to follow to make the website a better place to browse. I have listed some of the most useful tips to choose the best domain name for your blog.
What is a domain name?
A domain name is the address of your website on the web. For example, our domain name is wpthinker.com. The domain name is how a user can visit your website by inputting it into the browser URL bar. Even though websites are essentially identified by their IP addresses, they are not so human-friendly. Hence, the domain names serve the purpose of providing a clear and meaningful identity to every single website. Each website you see on the internet will have a unique domain name.
Why domain name is important?
Domain names are important because of several reasons. The identity of your website could determine how your brand is viewed on the internet. Here are some of the importance of the domain name –
- Domain names allow building a brand on the internet.
- They are pretty much the face of your company until you make it to the top leagues.
- A good domain name shows the trustworthiness of the brand.
- Helps to optimize your business to be easily found in search engines.
- Provides an official email address such as firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Protect your brand identity from being used by others online.
How to choose the best domain name?
There are many things you should consider before registering a domain online. No matter the scale of your business, if you are planning it for the long term, be aware of these things –
1. Clear and meaningful
The domain name must be very clear and meaningful at the same time. Meaningful domains always tend to attract the visitor’s attention and make it stick on the tongues tips of the visitors. Clarity is also important because it also helps in remembering the domain name without searching the internet again.
- wdsigkodps.com is not either clear or meaningful so you must avoid that.
- bestbadgood.com is clear but not meaningful.
- wpthinker.com is both clear and meaningful at the same time.
2. Keep the domain name short
Domain names are the identity of our website. As we all have some names to diverse us from other people the websites also do. So, we must keep it short as we can to make it more recognizable and easy to remember. The brief meaningful domain names are always better than the longer ones.
- worpressthinkerandanalyzer.com is an example of a long domain name that you must avoid
- wpthinker.com is a brief one that includes almost all meanings of the above one.
3. Use Keywords
Using keywords in your domain name is a very important factor that can considerably boost your SEO (Search Engine Optimization). Google and other search engines sometimes use domain names to find what the website is about. For example, this website is named wpthinker.com, so search engines can easily determine the content of the blog and make custom rankings for WordPress-related articles. Now, you may think that ‘WP’ and ‘WordPress’ are two different words, then how could they be equal? The only answer is, they are smarter to recognize those equal words and rank them equally. So, for a WordPress-related blog:
- wpthinker.com is a good example
- dailytricksandtips.com is a bad example
4. Domain extension
Domain extensions always play a definitive role in the search ranking of the website. There are so many domain extensions namely .com, .net, .org, .in, etc. all of them are a little different in their functions. For example:
- .com domains are targeted to the whole world.
- .in domains are targeted to a specific country, India.
The search engines sometimes give more importance to the .in domain in a specific country but outside the country .com dominates.
Note: It is strongly recommended to use .com domains for blogs and general websites and .in and such country-targeted domains for some local businesses.
5. Avoid Copyright Issues
Copyright is the law for protecting the contents and everything owned by a person or company being copied. Some domain names also belong to the copyrighted category. For example, Google.com is copyrighted to Google Inc., and we cannot use that name to create another website with the same name tag. So, be careful to choose some non-common but good-looking domain names.